An easy-to-make and nourishing winter casserole, this dish takes advantage of winter vegetables like fennel, potato and celery root. Fennel is rich in vitamin C, folate, dietary fiber and trace minerals like copper and molybdenum while celery root is an excellent source of vitamin K.
This dish is best served with an herbed cream sauce or a hollandaise sauce. This recipe serves 6.
celery root, potato & fennel casserole with walnut-encrusted cod
By February 17, 2009Published:
- Yield: 06 Servings
An easy-to-make and nourishing winter casserole, this dish takes advantage of winter vegetables like fennel, potato and celery …
- 3 Medium Potatoes
- 1 Fennel Bulb
- 1 Large Celery Root
- 3 Tablespoons Ghee
- 6 Cod Filets
- 1 ½ Cups Walnuts
- Celtic Sea Salt & Black Pepper to Taste
- 1 Recipe Hollandaise Sauce or Herbed Cream Sauce
- Soak the walnuts overnight in blood-warm water and a sprinkling of sea salt. Soaking nuts renders them more digestible.
- In the morning, drain the nuts and crush them. Set them aside.
- Slice the fennel bulb, potatoes and celery root as thinly as possible. Reserve the fennel fronds.
- Preheat the oven to 400 ° F.
- Layer the fennel, potato and celery root slices in a casserole dish.
- Dot the vegetables with ghee and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 400 ° F or until tender.
- Meanwhile, roll the cod in the crushed walnuts.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven, and put the cod filets on top of them.
- Pour remaining walnuts on top of the cod.
- Lower the temperature to 375 ° F, and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cod is done to your liking.
- Garnish with fennel fronds and serve with herbed cream sauce or hollandaise sauce.