Slowcooker chicken soup can soothe a weary soul. These days mine is in desperate want of soothing. There are months when life seems to take the lead and you’re always just one step behind – months when obligations never cease, when kids and work and charitable obligations all need your attention NOW and without compromise. There are months when you forget yourself. For me, I turn to this simple recipe for slowcooker chicken soup: just wholesome ingredients, a handful of steps and nourishment that can last for days.
Slowcooker chicken soup is that simple recipe, comforting and nourishment, that will keep your belly full even in the toughest time when both money and time are scarce. When the question of how to balance time, finances and nourishment comes up, and it often does among Nourished Kitchen readers, I always answer with one single response: “Learn to love your slowcooker.” Simple steps, coupled with good quality ingredients and a slowcooker bubbling away all day ensures that you can feed your family affordably, healthfully and without a lot of time in the kitchen. For me, slowcooker chicken soup is the answer,
slowcooker chicken soup recipe
By March 15, 2011Published:
- Yield: 1 gallon soup
- Prep: 5 minutes (active) mins
- Cook: 18 to 20 hrs (slowcooker) mins
- Ready In: 23 mins
Slowcooker chicken soup recipe featuring chicken, carrots, celery and potatoes.
- 1 whole chicken (3 to 4 lbs)
- unrefined sea salt (as needed)
- ground black pepper (as needed)
- 2 leeks (white and light green parts only, sliced thin)
- 2 bay leafs
- 1 yellow onion (peeled and chopped fine)
- 6 carrots (scraped and sliced into rounds 1/4-inch thick)
- 6 celery ribs (sliced 1/4-inch thick)
- 1 lb potatoes (peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Rinse the chicken, inside and out, then pat it dry and season it well with unrefined sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Place the chicken in a slowcooker with leeks and bay leafs then cover with water. Cook on low for twelve hours.
- Add chopped onion, carrots, celery and potatoes to the slowcooker and continue cooking on low for an additional six to eight hours.
- Stir in parsley, pick out large bones and serve.