Christmas, like all holidays, is intrinsically linked with food. For me, beyond the sugar cookies and gingerbread, I always remember the cheese spreads. I know. It seems odd to think of cheese or bacon being intrinsically connected to the holidays. but each year we’d receive boxes of goodies from mail order companies: chocolate tortes, summer sausages, spiced nuts, ruby red grapefruit and, my favorite: potted cheese spreads. I’d steal into the kitchen after the holiday parties and eat the port cheese, Swiss or bacon and cheddar cheese spreads. I loved them in all their salty, creamy glory.
Of course, I haven’t seen them in years not that I’d purchase them now anyway, but I still crave them. If you’re a believer in the low-fat mantra, you might want to skip this post – and the rest of Nourished Kitchen, for that matter as this recipe is full of fat – nourishing, satisfying and intensely flavorful.
The combination of bacon, artisan raw milk cheese and caramelized shallots blends together beautifully for a satisfying potted cheese spread. It assembles in just a few minutes, and is perfect for taking to holiday parties or, combined with sprouted grain crackers and a salad of winter greens, a light lunch.
This recipe for potted cheese makes use of fresh, raw cream rich in food enzymes and beneficial, lactic acid bacteria as well as pasture-raised bacon which is a remarkably good source of vitamin D (read more about vitamin D deficiency and disease). Moreover, tbe combination of artisan, raw milk cheese and fresh cream provides ample conjugated linoleic acid which is proving essential to heart health and weight maintenance.
potted cheddar with bacon and shallots
By December 7, 2009Published:
- Yield: 1 pint
This creamy, salty and faintly smoky spread makes an excellent addition to the holiday table. Makes approximately 1 pint of potted cheese spread.
- 2 tbsp Ghee or Clarified Butter
- 12 ounces Raw Milk Cheddar Cheese
- 1 lb Pastured Bacon
- 2 Shallots (sliced Thin)
- 2 tbsp Sherry
- 1 cup Fresh Cream from Grass-fed Cows
- Melt ghee in a pan and fry bacon until thoroughly cooked.
- Drain bacon fat and reserve.
- Add 2 tablespoons reserved fat to a cast iron skillet, and fry shallots until well-caramelized.
- Chop cheddar cheese into ½-inch cubes.
- Combine bacon and cheddar in a food processor and pulse until well-blended.
- Add fresh cream, sherry and shallots together and continue to pulse until the potted cheese is smooth and spreadable.
- Spoon into a ramekin or jar and chill until ready to serve.