I hardly remember the beginnings of January. Christmas, New Years and now it’s February?!? I’m worn and tired. Working on the upcoming cookbook has left me exhausted, and while my deadline looms far too close for comfort, I find myself sleeping less, and eating far more than I should. Oh my – the recipes – sour collards, goose liver mousse, stewed beef heart with winter vegetables, honeyed lemon and orange curd. You’ll love it, or I hope you will.
Fortunately, a friend visits a few times a week, working her way patiently through my muddled notes as she helps me to test the recipes – ensuring they’ll work in your kitchen when you try them. And, as my stress level continues to rise as that deadline grows closer still, my husband keeps me plied with plenty of organic dark chocolate and the occasional glass of red wine.
Of course, that’s not all we did (though that’s all that seems to occupy my mind these days). So here’s a few things I loved this January:
- Visiting the hot springs with my husband for his 36th birthday.
- Ordering fresh oysters to celebrate said birthday. I love getting them direct from the producer.
- Trying to get a good night’s sleep, despite all the work.
- We’re avoiding the sniffles around town with good cod liver oil and plenty of bone broth.
- Though this no-flu tea seems intriguing, and a hot toddy sounds divine.
- I loved learning that I’m not the only one who water washes my hair.
- I liked this version of Beet, Carrot and Ginger Kvass. It’s a nice diversion from my Beet Kvass Recipe.
- I’ve been making a lot of Continuous Brew Kombucha, but if that’s too advanced, you might try this Basic Kombucha Recipe.
- Loved this recipe for Baked Apple Slices.
- I finally picked up a pedal desk so I can stay active while I work.
- Organizing our trip to Europe! Lots of farm stays, followed by a week-long real food retreat (and you can join me!).