Nearly every morning, my husband prepares a soaked oatmeal porridge. It's evolved over the years, from an overly sweetened oatmeal to a version that's sweetened only by dried fruit like raisins. It's important to soak oatmeal prior to preparation. Doing so increases the digestibility of oats as it does and it enables the nutrients found in the grain to be better absorbed by your body. Oats, like all grains, contain phytic acid which can inhibit the proper absorption of minerals link zinc and iron.
soaked oatmeal recipe
- Soak rolled oats, seeds and nuts overnight in enough water to cover – adding lemon juice, kefir, whey, yogurt or cider vinegar to the water.
- In the morning, drain oats and rinse them well.
- Add milk to a pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Immediately turn down heat and add remaining ingredients.
- Stir frequently and continue to simmer until oatmeal has thickened to your liking.
- Serve with yogurt, kefir and natural sweetener of your choice.