Autumn is here and both the apple and pear harvests are in full swing. While apple pies and crumbles grace many a table, we settle for an even simpler dish here: autumn fruit sauteed in butter and served with tangy kefir. This dessert lacks the cloying sweetness of most sweetened varieties as it’s made without sugar or other sweeteners; rather, the natural sugar of the fruit shines through.
|apples & pears sauteed in butter|| |
- 3 Apples, Cored and Peeled
- 3 Pears, Cored and Peeled
- ¼ Cup Butter from Grass-fed Cows
- ¼ Cup Walnuts, Soaked in Brine and Dehydrated
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1 Vanilla Bean
- Dairy Kefir to Serve
- Slice the apples and pears into wedges about ½-inch thick.
- Heat the butter in a pan until it’s foamy.
- Add the fruit to the pan and allow it to cook until just tender and thoroughly warmed.
- Add the walnuts, cinnamon and the contents of one vanilla bean.
- Continue to cook until the flavors are well-mixed.
- Serve warm with dairy kefir on the side.