Rate this Recipe
Roasted Beet and Walnut Salad with Kombucha Vinaigrette
This recipe comes from my new cookbook The Nourished Kitchen: Farm-to-Table Recipes for the Traditional Foods Lifestyle)(Ten Speed Press 2014).
Print Save RecipeSaved! Click to Remove Ads
Prep Time8 hours hrs 5 minutes mins
Total Time8 hours hrs 5 minutes mins
- 2 pounds beets
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 red onion
- 2 tablespoons prepared kombucha tea
- ¼ teaspoon finely ground
- finely ground real salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- To prepare the salad, trim the beets by removing any beet tops and the tips of their roots. Dot each beet with a touch of clarified butter, then wrap each in parchment paper and again in aluminum foil. Roast the beets for 45 to 60 minutes, until they yield under the pressure of a fork. Refrigerate the beets for at least 8 and up to 24 hours.
- To prepare the vinaigrette, whisk the kombucha tea with the salt, allspice, cloves, and the walnut and olive oils. The vinaigrette will store at room temperature for up to 3 weeks, but remember to shake it vigorously before dressing the salad because the oil will separate from the tea and spices when left sitting.
- Just before serving, heat a skillet over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes until very hot. Toss in the walnuts and toast them for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid scorching. Remove the cold beets from the fridge, peel them, and chop into bite-sized pieces. In a large bowl, toss the beets with the sliced onion and toasted walnuts. Drizzle with the vinaigrette, toss again, and serve.
Rate this recipe!If you loved this recipe, give it a rating. Let us know what works, what didn't and whether you made any adjustments that can help other cooks.