Vividly green in color, this super green tonic packs a whopping punch of antioxidants in one delicately sweet and tart, lusciously smooth morning juice. Lime and tart green apple provide the tonic’s base and temper the assertive bitter notes of antioxidant-rich wheatgrass, while both mint and parsley provide a gorgeous, clean finish.
Green Tonics Pack in the Antioxidants
Green tonics like this one that’s made with plenty of phytonutrient-rich foods like wheatgrass and fresh herbs provide plenty of antioxidants in an easy form. And while juices, like this one, aren’t a replacement for eating your fruits and vegetables, they certainly give you a boost of nutrition and serve as a pleasant way to start the day.
Collagen Peptides for a Boost of Protein
The downside of juicing is that juices tend to be pretty heavy on sugar, naturally occurring though it may be, so I like to swirl a little scoop of collagen peptides into my morning juice which not only gives me a boost of protein to start the day, but also helps to reduce the glycemic load of juice.
I’ve been working with and use Vital Proteins collagen peptides (both their marine-sourced collagen peptides and their grass-fed beef collagen peptides) because they source their raw materials responsibly and sustainably.
Super Green Morning Tonic
For the Super Green Morning Tonic
- 3 medium Granny Smith Apples
- 2 medium limes
- 1 ounce sprigs of fresh mint
- 1 ounce sprigs of fresh parsley
- 1/2 ounce wheatgrass
- 2 tablespoons Vital Proteins Marine Collagen Peptides
- Chop the apples coarsely so that they fit into the feeder tube of your juicer easily. Remove the rind of the lime with a sharp paring knife (We've been loving the ceramic paring knife in this set.), and then chop the lime so that it fits into the feeder tube of your juicer.
- Juice the apples, lime, mint, parsley and wheatgrass into a pitcher, stir in the collagen peptides and pour the juice evenly into two glasses.
Pro Tip: Get a Masticating Juicer
A masticating juicer extracts more juice from your fruits and vegetables, and is particularly effective at extracting juice from soft fruits, herbs and leafy greens. I use this juicer which is easy to clean, works reliably and takes up less space on the countertop than other, more expensive, juicers.
Other Morning Tonics You Might Like
Matcha Tea Latté made with whole milk, matcha tea, spirulina, collagen peptides and the lightest touch of sweetener.
Chai Spiced Butter Tea made with strong puerh tea, fragrant spices and grassfed ghee for a boost of energy.
Coconut Golden Milk made with coconut milk, fresh turmeric, fresh ginger and a hint of honey.
Beet Kvass made by fermenting beets so that the resulting tonic is rich in phytonutrients and good-for-your-gut beneficial bacteria.