It's no surprise that I love beets. I really, really love them. I love their earthiness the almost dirty flavor. I love the way they stain my hands when I cut them. I love the big ones as large and solid as a man's heart. I love the baby ones so small and sweet and delicate.
These beets make a nice, easy side dish and the simple flavorings do a lot to bring out the natural flavor and sweetness of the beets.
roasted baby beetsPrint Save Recipe Saved!
- 2 pounds beets
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- finely ground real salt
- Rinse the beets, taking care to remove any dirt or sludge from their skins.
- Then peel the beets, reserving their skins for the compost heap.
- If your beets are particularly large, cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- Place the beets in an oven-safe dish and dot them with better, salt and coarsely ground black pepper.
- Bake them at 375 ° F for about an hour, or until they’re tender when pierced with a fork.