This is one of my all-time favorite ways to serve brussels sprouts. Even non-sprout lovers should enjoy this dish. The piima cream is a perfect foil to the crisp sprouts and nuts. This recipe serves 4. I love the underdogs of the vegetable world: turnips, beets and brussels sprouts in particular. Brussels sprouts, like other cruciferous vegetables, are rich in the cancer fighting indole-3-carbinols. This brussels sprouts recipe is one that even brussels sprouts haters will love – plus it’s covered in probiotic piima cream. Piima is a Scandinavian yogurt that cultures at room temperature.
You can purchase piima from Cultures for Health or check out the Cultures and Starters Exchange.
pan-fried brussels sprouts with piima cream
- 1 lb Organic Brussels Sprouts
- 1 Organic Shallot
- ½ Cup Walnuts Soaked Overnight and Dried if Possible
- ¼ Cup Organic Ghee from Grass-fed Cows
- Celtic Sea Salt and Organic Black Pepper to Taste
- 2 – 3 Tablespoons Piima Cream
- Remove the tough bottoms and outer leaves of each brussels sprout, then thinly slice them.
- Thinly slice the shallot.
- Heat the ghee in a pan over medium heat until it’s melted.
- Add the brussels sprouts, shallot and walnuts.
- Continue to cook until the brussels sprouts become golden and crispy.
- Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle piima cream over the top and serve.