I’m trying to serve more sauces as they can truly enhance a meal. This sauce–classic hollandaise–is one that is making it to our table more and more frequently. Rich with butter and egg yolks, the sauce is dense with wholesome fats and micronutrients. Make sure to use quality ingredients like eggs from pastured chickens and butter from grass-fed cows as these foods are the more nutrient-dense than their conventional counterparts. We often serve it over eggs, salmon and vegetables.
classic hollandaise saucePrint Recipe
- 3 Egg Yolks from Pastured Chickens
- ¼ C Butter from Grass-fed Cows
- Juice of One Organic Lemon
- Real Salt & Organic Pepper to Taste
- Boiling Water as Needed
- Melt the butter, taking care not to burn or brown it.
- In a double boiler, whisk the egg yolks together.
- Slowly add the melted butter to the yolks while you whisk them.
- Slowly add the lemon juice to the butter and yolk mixture while you continue to whisk.
- Add a pinch of real salt and a sprinkling of organic pepper to taste.
- If your sauce is “broken” or curdled, whisk in two to three tablespoons of boiling water and you will restore the sauce beautifully.