Strawberry mint sorbet is one of those desserts – those simple treats – that I love sharing with my family. It’s fresh and vibrant with flavor, but also utterly uncomplicated. It celebrates some of the first flavors of springtime, strawberries and fresh herbs, combining them with honey for a touch of sweetness.
Mint helps to cleanse the palate, making this sorbet a particularly nice treat to serve after dinner.
|Strawberry Mint Sorbet|| |
- ¾ cup honey
- ¼ cup water
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 6 cups hulled strawberries, fresh or frozen
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- Warm the honey in a saucepan with water until bubbles begin to form. Drop in the mint, and turn off the heat. Allow the mint to steep in the diluted honey until it cools completely.
- Toss the strawberries into a high-powered blender (like this one), then strain the honey through a fine-mesh sieve (like this one) into the blender, discarding the mint. Add the lemon juice, vanilla and peppermint extracts to the strawberries, and blend until smooth. Pass the liquid through a fine-mesh sieve into a jar, seal, and store in the refrigerator at least eight hours until thoroughly cold.
- Pour the liquid into a ice cream maker (This is the one I use.).
The Goodness of Strawberries
Strawberries are rich in phytonutrients, and are a particularly good source of vitamin C as well as manganese, a mineral that helps the body to form connective tissue and that plays a role in carbohydrate metabolism and the regulation of the body’s blood sugar.
In addition to containing a wide variety of vitamins and minerals, strawberries are also rich in various antioxidants. Researchers have found that these compounds in strawberries can help the body to detoxify free radicals as well as protect and repair DNA (read it here).
Other Naturally Sweet Strawberry Recipes
While you can find strawberries in the produce case at your supermarket throughout the year, strawberries are best in late spring to early summer, when you can find them for a fair price at many farmers markets and at u-pick farms.
- Stewed Strawberries with Mint
- Strawberry Yogurt Bowl
- Yogurt Panna Cotta with Roasted Strawberries
- Strawberries in Minted Honey Syrup