Sprouted Donut Recipe
Adapted from the Ladies’ Home Journal Cookbook, published in 1960. Everyone deserves a treat, so enjoy.
Servings: 12 - 18 doughnutsPrint Save Recipe Saved!
for the sprouted grain doughnuts:
sprouted grain doughnuts
- Warm milk, honey, salt and butter together.
- Add yeast and wait five minutes for it to proof.
- Mix liquid mixture with 1 beaten egg.
- Add sprouted flour and knead thoroughly.
- Form into a ball and allow to rise until double in bulk. I prefer to allow my breads to rise in an Excalibur dehydrator (see sources) which is efficient and effective.
- Once the dough is doubled in bulk, roll it out with a rolling pin until ½-inch thick.
- Cut with a doughnut cutter or other tool. We used an inverted mason jar for the doughnut and an apple corer for the center.
- Heat a ½-inch to ¾-inch coconut oil or pastured lard in a cast iron skillet over a medium-high flame.
- Fry doughnuts 3 – 4 at a time in the oil. They’ll puff up nearly immediately.
- Turn when golden brown – a few seconds – and fry the other side.
- Remove doughnuts, cool and drain.
- Top with coconut vanilla glaze.
coconut vanilla glaze
- Whip melted coconut oil, honey and vanilla together.
- Keep warm and viscous, but not hot.
- Pour over doughnuts or madeleines as appropriate.