Everyone needs some comfort food from time to time. On those occasions, I like to make my version of chicken nuggets or chicken tenders. Using wholesome ingredients like pastured organic chicken breasts, sprouted grain flour, almonds, herbs and spices can improve upon this fast-food classic. While we sometimes serve them with homemade barbeque sauce or even a honey-mustard dip, everyone in our family – including our toddler – prefers them with preserved lemon & parsley tapenade.
chicken nuggets with almonds
By January 21, 2009Published:
Everyone needs some comfort food from time to time. On those occasions, I like to make my version of chicken nuggets or chicken …
- 3 Pastured Chicken Breasts (skinless and deboned)
- 2 Cups Sprouted Grain Flour
- ¼ Cup Slivered Almonds
- 1 ½ Teaspoons Real Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Parsley
- ¼ Teaspoon Mustard Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper to Taste
- 2 Eggs from Pastured Hens
- 2-3 Tablespoons Cream from Grass-fed Cows
- 1 ½ to 2 Cups Palm Kernel Oil or Palm Shortening as needed
- Trim the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, mix almonds, flour, herbs, spices, salt and pepper together.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs and cream together.
- Toss the cut-up chicken in the flour mix to coat.
- Transfer the chicken to the egg and cream mixture to coat.
- Transfer the chicken back to the flour mixture and make sure to coat it well.
- Heat the oil in a heavy, cast-iron skillet over medium-low heat until melted.
- Fry your nuggets in batches – usually 1 – 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer them by slotted spoon to a towel to drain an excess oil.